Police weekend in review

Truck strikes communication wires in Chatham

A driver has been charged after a truck struck communication wires in Chatham Friday evening.

A motorist called police at approximately 6:30 p.m. to advise that a semi truck was striking overhead wires as it travelled eastbound on Richmond Street in Chatham. Chatham-Kent police attended in the area and stopped the truck on Lacroix Street. A section of Richmond Street from Leeson Drive to Lacroix St. was closed to traffic while the investigation was conducted.

Investigators concluded that the downed wires were not hydro lines and no one was injured.

Police say the lines were repaired and the driver of the truck was charged.

Man charged after allegedly smashing items with bat

A 36-year-old man is facing charges after a domestic incident occurred at a Lorne Ave residence early Saturday.

Police received a call from a resident at around 2:21 a.m. indicating that a man was smashing things inside a house with a bat. Officers attended the residence and found a man sitting on the steps with bloody hands and extremely agitated.

Police say a number of items had been smashed but no-one inside the house had been assaulted. After speaking with people in the residence, the man was arrested and brought to Chatham-Kent Police Headquarters for processing.

The man was charged with mischief under $5000 and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and held in custody for a bail hearing.

Chatham man charged with assault

A 57-year-old Chatham man is facing charges after allegedly assaulting his girlfriend.

Saturday at approximately 9 p.m., the man and his girlfriend were inside their shared residence in Chatham when they became involved in heated argument.

Police say the argument escalated and the man caused an injury to the woman’s arm and then threatened her. Police were called and the woman received medical treatment from EMS.

A separate assault that had occurred last year was disclosed to police.

The man was arrested and charged with uttering threats and two counts of assault. He was then transported to CKPS Headquarters where he is held for a bail hearing.

Break and enter in Chatham

Police are investigating a break end enter that occurred in Chatham Friday.

A citizen called the Chatham-Kent Police Headquarters and spoke with a Alternative Response Officer at the front desk to report a break and enter.

Investigators learned that suspects gained entry into a shed located on Parkwood Drive in Chatham. Once inside, they removed a Stihl weed whacker, Stihl hedge trimmer a Stihl leaf blower and a handheld spotlight. The total value of the items taken is approximately $1000.

Police say at this time there is no suspect information. Anyone with information is asked to call the Chatham-Kent Police Headquarters at (519) 436-6600 ext. 222. Anonymous callers may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) and are eligible for a cash reward.

Break and enter in Raleigh Township

Police are investigating a break and enter that was reported by a citizen through the Coplogic online self-reporting portal which can be reached at http://ckpolice.com/online-crime-reporting/.

The break-in occurred to a residence on Talbot Trail Friday night.

The information stated that sometime between 10:45 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. someone pried open a door to the house and removed a large quantity of jewellery.

Police say the matter is still under investigation and anyone with information is asked to contact Constable Joel Rehill at joelr@chatham-kent.ca.  Anonymous callers may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) and are eligible for a cash reward.

Chatham man charged with failing to comply

A man that was released from police custody with conditions in February was arrested again Saturday afternoon.

Police say two of those conditions were to remain inside his residence at all times and not communicate in any way with a specific woman that is known to him.

Saturday around 5 p.m. the man was observed inside Walmart at 881 St. Clair Street in Chatham with the woman he is not to be in contact with. Therefore, police were called. An officer approached the man and then placed him under arrest for not abiding by his release conditions. A search of the man was conducted incident to arrest. Police reportedly found items stolen from Walmart in his clothing.

The 36-year-old Chatham man was arrested for two counts of failing to comply. He was spoken to about the concealed items and cautioned regarding offences of theft under $5000 and possession of property obtained by a crime under $5000.

He was transported to Chatham-Kent Police Service Headquarters where he is  held for a bail hearing.

Chatham man arrested on outstanding warrant

Saturday night at 8:30 p.m. a 22-year-old Chatham man was arrested on a warrant for failing to attend court.

Police say he was transported to CKPS Headquarters and later released with a future court date in May.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login