No injuries in Wallaceburg kitchen fire: extensive damage
A fire broke out in Wallaceburg just after 5 p.m. last night, causing extensive heat and smoke damage to a house at 48 Bruce Street. No-one was injured.
Fire Department spokesperson Whitney Burk said in a prepared release that firefighters from Chatham and Wallaceburg, including volunteer firefighters found the house with thick black smoke pouring from the building. Firefighters were able to quickly determine the source of the blaze came was in the kitchen and prevented the fire from spreading throughout the home. There was no-one at home during the incident, that causes an estimated $80,000 in damage.
Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services are reminding residents to make sure that all appliances are shut off before leaving home. Never leave the stove or oven unattended even if you are cooking at low heat.