Quebecer arrested in YouTube murder threats against Arabs

police montrealThe Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Montreal police say they have arrested a man in connection with a YouTube video in which someone says one Arab would be murdered in Quebec every week.

Spokesman Andre Leclerc says the arrest was made early this morning.

The person in the video could be seen brandishing what looks like a pistol as he made the threats and spoke about last week’s terrorist attacks in Paris that left 129 people dead.

Leclerc says a weapon with compressed air was confiscated when they arrested the 24-year-old man.

He is expected to be arraigned later today on various charges, including uttering threats, although Leclerc says there might also be charges related to inciting hatred.

The video surfaced on Tuesday and followed an attack on a Muslim woman near an elementary school in Toronto that police said appeared to be “motivated by hate.”

That incident came two days after a mosque in Peterborough, Ont., was set ablaze in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in France.

© The Canadian Press, 2015

Leave a comment
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login